Running should be fun, but sometimes we are all struggling to get going – down the same road again…. Here some brilliant bits of inspiration from Tina Reale, real body fitness:
1. Get some good music or an audio book. Adding some fun new music to my running playlist never fails to give me a new energy during my runs. I will neither confirm nor deny whether or not I sometimes do a little “run dance” to the tunes. Although, I will confirm that “run dancing” is fun.
2. Change of scenery. Being at the beach this week has certainly helped me get out the door more. I realized from that, I have been in a running rut at home – doing the same route practically every run. I plan to mix it up when we get home…and we’ll be moving the week after we get home so that will be an automatic update to scenery.
3. Do a fun race. In July I have plans to do a 5K color run with Lindsay and Lee. I can’t wait! I think getting back in the atmosphere of a race will get me more excited to run again. Plus, who doesn’t have fun at a color run? There are so many fun races out there now, you’re bound to find one in your area too if you need a little running pick me up.
4. Seek support online. Seriously. You all don’t know how much it helps to have virtual buddies cheering me on when I post about a good (or even not so good) run onInstagram or Twitter or Facebook. Having virtual running buddies out there and seeing all of YOUR success helps push me to get moving. Thinking about sharing my run while completing it never fails to help me push a bit more with a smile on my face. For my Women’s Running Series trainings, I follow along the #beamazing hashtag for inspiration.
5. Fartleks. Just the name itself is enough to produce a little giggle. Any sort of speed work in a low-key way can take the monotony out of a run…and put the fun back in. I love to race to different points along the course of my run or pick up the pace for the chorus parts of a song. Note: I do not suggest your run dancing with your new music alongside speed work. Just saying.
6. Run with a friend. Or a pet. I need to get back to some group runs with the local running group! They are always so much fun and a great distraction to the actual running part when you’re chatting it up. I have had a few instances where I randomly run into a run pail on the trail and we share a few miles together. It’s always so nice. I need to make a point to include those from time to time.
7. Take the stress off. Many runs lately have been sans Garmin for me. And I stopped following a specific training plan for the time being. Feeling a “need” to do a certain run or hit a certain pace certainly wasn’t adding joy to my runs when I had a million other things stressing out my system. By removing those and keeping a run just a run for something I enjoy, I found a lot more fun again. Although, I will say those runs can be fun to me too…when I’m in a better place mentally and physically and have the energy for them.
8. Get around people. One of my favorite routes to run is a local running path that always has many other runners, walkers, bikers, etc. going along. Being around people gives me a boost of energy. Plus, everyone is so friendly. The smiles, waves, head nods, “good mornings” make it more enjoyable. Or perhaps you can get some good people watching. At the very least, I find I workout better around people. Same reason I prefer the gym even though I have all I need for doing all my workouts at home
9. Break it up. When I really need something to make my run more fun, I will make it a circuit workout and toss a few strength exercises in after every 1/2 mile or so. It can be done at the gym, completing a few sets of exercises in the weights section between miles. Or even outdoors, taking a mini break for some push-ups, lunges, and planks every now and then through the run.
Now I would love for you to tell me – what ways do you make a run more fun?
– See more at: http://www.tinareale.com/4232/ways-to-make-running-fun/#sthash.Oe9VvBRp.dpuf